As part of our 'Showcase Series', we are highlighting games companies large and small with a few quick questions to discover more about their conception, evolution, inspirations and aspirations. From the largest multi-national companies to indie games makers and even individual new-comers, we're happy to shine a light on a variety of views of the gaming industry and experiences for those at all points on the gaming ladder!
Today - Smart Egg...
Smart Egg is a relatively small puzzle and game developer company. We have 2 lines currently ( we are working on 6-8 new items now) and both lines won IPP awards.
Development means for us:
We usually chose an original idea (not an old idea redressing). We are developing not just the product, but most of the time, based on the original idea we are giving a totally different suggestion than what the inventor thought before. Most of the inventors feel we are co-inventor.
We care a lot with User Experience. It has to be handy, we try to avoid to create mess,
- We try to be timeless and ageless, for this reason we love abstract. Timeless means we do not follow any fashion or we do not use any characters, ageless means we are making our games for every age group over 6y, including teenagers, adults and elderly.
- We believe thinking is fun and joyful , and thinking is not a work or a job. Thinking can bring the feeling of "flow" which is relaxing and entertaining. We would be happy if our customers would experience the joy of thinking.
- We would like to make games with very simple rules and simple looks. Lots of people are afraid of playing with puzzles generally, because they think maybe they are not so clever. We want to bring down the entry level and encourage them to try.
- Scalability is very important for us! Beside the low entry level we would like to entertain the very clever solvers as well using the same concept or the same sets. Simply doesn't mean easy.
- Importance of the community - We would like to create the feeling of solving together or in a community. We believe puzzle solving is not a lonely hobby.
- We try to create competitive game modes.
- Head & hands - In all of our games head and hands need to work together and we would like to click together movements and thinking. Manipulation with the hands is the key to being human.
- Ability development - We only want to develop abilities, we do not want to teach anything. With the right set of abilities people can learn and solve many problems. Ability development is important in every age group.
- Importance of the "flow"- The solution is not just an 'aha' feeling, our games are demanding several steps (several 'aha') to solve. With the help of the flow we can close out the outer world and we have the chance to relax. With the help of scalability there are always levels in our puzzles for every person to give the feeling of the flow. The feeling of the flow is coming from the time they spend with the solution. It is not the "aha" feeling, because it takes only for a moment.
- Our puzzles are demanding a certain time to spend with and the customer have the chance to choose the suitable level for himself.
We are working on 6-8 new games and planning the launch at least 4 of them in 2021. All of the new games will follow our philosophy.
Find out more about our puzzles and apps at smarteggtoy.com and mondrianblocks.com
Submitted by Imre Kökényesi